TTPS Carnival Safety Tips
When attending parties and other activities, you are reminded that you should:
Wear minimal jewelry.
- Travel in groups to and from activities.
- Not carry around or display large amounts of money.
- Not have wallets and change purses visible.
- Not accept drinks from strangers or leave drinks unattended.
- Prearrange transport arrangements and designate an alcohol-free driver.
Parents and guardians are reminded that their children should:
All wear identification cards bearing their name, name of parent/guardian, address, and telephone number.
- Not be left unsupervised at home.
- Not be left in charge of strangers.
- Not use public conveniences unless an adult accompanies them.
- Not accept food or drink from strangers.
- Not be taken to fetes, calypso tents and other adult shows.
When leaving you households you are reminded that you should:
- Ensure that you secure your premises.
- Secure all ladders and other implements in a locked room.
- Not leave keys in mailboxes or under door mats.
- Notify the police if you are going to be away for long periods.
- Have a friend or relative check the household to remove newspapers, milk and other deliveries.
- Teach your children to lock the doors when they enter.
- Ensure that the property is illuminated at night.
- Be observant when returning home, especially at night.
Holders of licensed firearms are reminded that they should:
- Ensure that their firearm is properly secured at home.
- Not display firearms in public.
- Not draw their firearm unless they are in a life-threatening situation.
- Lodge their firearm at a police station before leaving the country.
- Remember that their firearm is a lethal weapon and they should not become intoxicated when carrying it.
When driving to fetes and other activities you are reminded that you should:
- Ensure that your vehicle is properly secured.
- Use paid car parks whenever possible.
- Not overcrowd vehicles.
- Not drink and drive.
- Lock doors when vehicle is in motion.
- Notify the police whenever you observe any strange activities around vehicles.
- Obey traffic signs re: parking.
- Not leave vehicle unattended with keys in the ignition.
- Not leave your vehicle unattended with engine running.
- Not leave valuable items exposed in your vehicle.
- Be cautious of persons loitering near traffic lights.
- Have your keys in hand when you approach your vehicle.
- Be vigilant at all times when returning home especially at night and if you are travelling alone.
Remember it is an offence to:
- Go through a RED LIGHT even at nights.
- Travel in open trays of pick up vans and trucks.
Visitors to Trinidad and Tobago are reminded that they should:
- Carry some form of identification on their person when attending activities.
- Take public transportation with "H" being the first letter on the number plate.
- Verify the cost of transportation before boarding hired vehicles.
- Avoid dark and lonely areas, ie walking through the Queen's Park Savannah at night.
- Not accept lifts from strangers.
- Not carry around or display large amounts of cash.
- Secure wallets and purses especially in crowded areas.
- Find a Police Officer if they need assistance.